Thursday, August 16, 2012

Hello Blog-World... what am I doing here?

So I’ve done it. I’ve started a blog. I’ve had my Google Reader setup for years with all my favorite bloggers (and even a few blogs of people who may or may not know I read them) and just love opening it up every morning, reading through all the latest craft projects, recipes and life updates but have never had any desire with starting one of my own… until now.

I’m not sure why I’ve finally decided to take the plunge but upon going through some old items at my parent’s house I came across boxes (and boxes) of old stuff and spent hours combing through these items, reminiscing and laughing at all the old times. I guess that is what I want to get out of this blog; a place to come back to years from now and be able to look back at the old times (without the large boxes of junk to sort through).

I’m honestly not expecting anybody but a few select friends (and my mom) to read this but, in the off chance there are others, here’s a little intro about me…

I’m a newlywed living in a new city, with a new job, a new house, some new friends. Throw in a new car and that is a lot of “news” for a 6-month span!

-          Newlywed: Brett and I were married on February 18th, 2012 in my hometown of Greenville, SC after a little over 2 years of dating. We met on a half-way blind date* setup by a mutual friend. Brett is from a small town near Florence but has been in Columbia since Law School (waaaaayyyy back when… kidding) and works as an attorney in town.
Snapshots from our wedding album

*I say “half-way blind date” because Brett and I met briefly at said friend’s wedding a few years back…. Evidence noted by this picture which I found on my camera from her wedding years after it was taken… fate, right?
 
-          New City: Since our dating was of the long-distance variety, once we made this thing official, I had to pack up and move from my hometown of Greenville to Columbia, SC. I had gone to college in Columbia so I wasn’t completely foreign to the city but let’s just say I experienced a different side of Columbia when I was here 6 years ago. J I miss Greenville on a regular basis but am having so much fun learning my way around here and seeing all it has to offer! (and eating at Zas whenever I get the chance).

-          New Job: With a new city, comes a new job. I had worked at an advertising agency in Greenville since I graduated college so leaving the only “real” job I had ever known was not exactly the easiest thing to do but, the 4 month “vacation” I was going to get between jobs made the blow a little easier to bear. After my stint as a stay-at-home-wife, I am now working at a large insurance company in town working in their Marketing Department. It is no advertising agency environment but I’m so happy about the move and hope to have a long future here.

-          New House: Not only did I leave my job in Greenville, I left my very first house as well. We decided not to sell but instead rent it out and become landlords (I’m sure there will be more on that later). But, leaving my girlie, single-gal townhouse to Brett’s bachelor, 3bdrm/1bath house that included a few Robert E. Lee inspired pictures on the walls and 1 particularly ugly green, velvet couch was well, interesting…. Note, all items have since been replaced 1 room at a time with new, “married couple” appropriate items (however, the flower pictures in the kitchen I hung just HAD to go according to Brett). *I’m only half-kidding here… I actually adore our house in Forest Acres and couldn’t think a better place to spend our first years of marriage… if only it had 2 bathrooms… no, but really.

Our little bungalow (before some much needed yard TLC)

-          Not so new Dog: He may be approaching middle-age in dog years and can’t be described as “new” but I couldn’t have an intro about myself without introducing the one and only Brinkley, our first child and a large part of our little family. He is 100% spoiled rotten by everyone around him but in my mind, you shouldn’t ever own a dog unless you’re willing to spoil them!

Our little fur-baby, Brinkley

So that’s me in a nutshell! Bear with me as I try to navigate my way through my first blog and please send any pointers my way! I’m not making any promises about what is going to be posted on here (or how often it will happen) but I will promise multiple spelling and grammar errors… I’ve always been more of a math/science person myself. J



No comments:

Post a Comment