Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Tasty Tuesday: Easy Pad Thai

I am so excited about my very first Tasty Tuesday post! Ever since Brett and I started dating we have really found a love of cooking together and trying out new recipes or pulling out some old family favorites. So, I am excited about having a place to collect all of these and share them with you!

Last week Brett and I made a delicious and SO simple Chicken Pad Thai for dinner. I posted a picture of it on Instagram and got more likes on that picture than ever before so I thought I would share the love and post the recipe. I almost wanted to hold the recipe close and let you all think I'm some culinary genius but, I've decided to be nice and share this wonderful secret!

Enjoy!!





You can find the original recipe HERE!

Easy Pad Thai
Serves 4 (I have to admit though, Brett and I almost consumed the entire pan between the two of us... don't judge)

8 ounces dried, wide and flat rice noodles (found these in the ethnic section of Publix)2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 lime), plus wedges for serving
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 squirt (about 1/8 teaspoon) Sriracha (I'm not a spicy food lover so we skipped this and Brett just added some regular hot sauce to his plate.)
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3 scallions (green onions), white and green parts, separated and thinly sliced (I ended up only using the white part of 3 but used the green part of probably the whole bushel - about 6).1 garlic clove, minced
2 large eggs, light beaten
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1/4 cup chopped roasted, salted peanuts
  1. Soak noodles according to package instructions. Drain. (My brand just said to soak in hot tap water for about 10 minutes. They will still feel a bit hard but will cook the rest of the way in the skillet.)
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, lime juice, soy sauce, and Sriracha (if used).
  3. Go ahead and chop up your scallions, garlic, cilantro, peanuts and have them ready.
  4. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
  5. Add scallion whites and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Add eggs and cook, scraping skillet with spatula until eggs are almost set (about 30 seconds). Transfer eggs to a plate.
  6. Add noodles, scallion greens, and sauce to skillet. Cook, tossing constantly, until noodles are soft and fully coated with the sauce (about 1 minute). Add egg mixture and toss to coat, breaking eggs up gently. (this is when we added the cooked chicken)
  7. Serve noodles with lime wedges, topped with cilantro and peanuts.
Side Notes:
- The original recipe does not call for chicken but we decided to pick up a package of chicken tenderloins and cut them up and cook them in a skillet with some lime juice and soy sauce. Once they were done cooking we added them to the skillet when we added the eggs back in before serving it. To me, it was a very simple and necessary addition.
- We also steamed some edemame as our side dish (my fav!)
- Without the chicken this is only 315 calories per serving so not only is it easy, it is a great low-cal dinner! (if you can only eat 1 serving that is!)

No comments:

Post a Comment