Monday, December 17, 2012

Christmas Traditions: The Nutcracker

I figured with this being the week leading up to Christmas, I would talk about some of my favorite Christmas Traditions starting with one that really does mean Christmas to me: The Nutcracker.

From the time I could practically walk, I did ballet.
My first dance recital "Put your little foot"
And as soon as I was old enough to be in The Nutcracker, I was. So for 11 years straight, that was my family's Christmas tradition.

First Nutcracker performance as a Soldier.

At the time I was growing up in The Nutcracker with The Greenville Ballet, it was THE show in the upstate. We did at least 2 weeks of performances and traveled to Clemson and Greenwood for shows as well. That along with having Saturday rehearsals months leading up to Decemeber and daily rehearsals at the theatre leading up to the show... to say it consumed our lives is an understatement. But we wouldn't have had it any other way.

Those weeks of rehearsals and shows at the Peace Center in downtown Greenville are some of my favorite memories. Hanging out in the wings, studying for exams in between numbers, playing dress up with costumes it is a time I will never forget.


Me and some of the girls backstage during rehearsals.

Yesterday, Brett and I went and saw Columbia City Ballet's performance and it just flooded my mind with memories. (Brett has come to terms with the fact that he will be having to attend The Nutcracker every year for the rest of his life... poor guy). Just hearing that opening music takes me back and gives me excited butterflies in my stomach. I told Brett after the show that I kind of missed parts of the dancing because I couldn't help but replay all of my studio's choreography in my head! (I think those dances will forever be ingrained in my mind!)


Final Nutcracker performance as a senior in high school dancing "Spanish Hot Chocolate"

So now that I've attended The Nutcracker I am that much more in the Christmas spirit and one step closer to Christmas Eve/Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment