Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 11, 2012



You always hear your grandparents talk about these historical events in their lives, things that we only read about in the history books but they remember the specific day of the week, where they were, who they were with when it happened. To our generation, that day is September 11, 2001 - 11 years ago today when those planes crashed into the World Trade Center.

For me, I was a senior in high school and sitting in Physics class. I remember somebody coming into the room and telling my teacher to turn on the TV. We watched the aftermath of the first plane hitting the building and then I remember my teacher turning off the TV and trying to get us to focus back on our work. It wasn't until after that class that we knew something serious was going on. However, we were still just kids - 17 and 18 years old. We really didn't get how serious this was.

I'm not sure I ever really understood the destruction, devastation and hurt people felt from 9/11 until last year when we watched all the news coverage from the 10-year anniversary specials on TV. 10 years had passed since the tragedy, but for me it was like I was experiencing the entire thing all over again, and with more perspective than ever before.

One can only hope that this will be the most tragic thing we as a nation will experience in our lifetime but you also can't help but gain so much pride along the way. It is a pretty inspiring thing that every, single year on 9/11 this nation comes together. People stop and remember what happened and honor the lives of those lost and survived that day.

May we never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment