Monday, September 10, 2012

Weekend Recap: Football, Friends and Food

This weekend we had 72 hours of blissfulness (is that even a word?) since it was the first weekend in 6 (yes, SIX) weekends that Brett and I were both home, in Columbia, for an entire weekend - together! Crazy, right?!

Friday Night Brett finally lived up to his promise and took me to eat dinner at Mr. Friendlys. It's one of the few local Columbia restaurants that I had never eaten at and had been wanting to try and it certainly did not disappoint! We started out by ordering the fried yellow grits with goat cheese and bacon. I mean, come on! How could you go wrong? It was so good! I got the pork chop for dinner which had a killer bbq sauce and relish on it that really made the dish! Brett got some kind of fish (I don't eat much seafood and no fish so he has to get his fill of it when we go out to eat) and even though fish isn't my thing, he cleaned the entire plate so I guess it was good! And of course since I have a huge sweet tooth (thanks for that, mom) we had to order the chocolate fudge cake for desert. Overall, it was fantastic and I can't wait to go back again for lunch next time!

Oh - I also got this picture from my mom on Friday... the ole wedding dress is all clean and packed up. Kind of sad seeing it in a box like this!



Saturday was of course the football game against ECU and with a 12:20 kickoff, it doesn't allow for sleeping in so we were up early and out the door to tailgate. Here are a few pictures from the game:


SO excited to Mrs. Barber! Lauren and I are best friends from college and I hadn't seen her since her wedding in April. She has a great blog you can follow HERE!

This is where we watched the game. I may lose fan points for that but when it's close to 110 degrees and you have an industrial fan at your spot, you don't exactly want to leave.


Bowers enjoyed his very first Carolina football game!


And we had some serious F.U.N with a few dinos.
After the game, we went to our favorite local pizza joint - conveniently called The Pizza Joint - and had a few drinks and pizza with Lauren and her husband Aaron.

Sunday morning we woke up and had a cup of coffee with the Barbers before they had to hit the road back to Charlotte. Brett and I then proceeded to be extra lazy and watched a few episodes of Friday Night Lights - we have been watching it on Netflix and are on the last season now. What to do when the people of Dillion leave my life...

We then decided to get motivated and stop by the new Home Goods store that just opened. The opening of this store was a pretty big deal in my mind since shopping there occupied about 99% of my time in Greenville and now that there is one here is huge! Brett was less thrilled than me as I drug him all around the store handing him things to carry and yelling for him to "Keep Up!" It was pretty ridiculously crowded so I only left there with a few new picture frames but I would still consider it a pretty successful trip!

Then, we came home and cooked Chile-Rubbed Grilled Chicken with Salsa for dinner. We got the recipe from The Food Network Magazine which we get and try to cook out of on a regular basis. We've had it for about 2 years now and have never had a failed recipe to date! This one was amazing and one we will definitely make again! Very light and refreshing, perfect for a Sunday night! Highly Recommend!

All-in-all it was the perfect weekend in town! Next weekend, we hit the road again and head to Greenville for my 10-year High School Reunion (eeek, I'm old!) so more on that later! Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend as well!!

2 comments:

  1. Are you guys going to the game this weekend? We're planning to go up there for it, just wondering :). But we're not tailgating, probably just eating dinner before and then heading into the stadium since it's just us.

    Good luck with the reunion this weekend. My 10 year will be next year, we'll probably go to Clay's but I doubt we go to mine. Johnsonville just isn't that thrilling to visit, as I'm sure you understand :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we won't be able to make it to the game this week since we will be in Greenville for the reunion. If yall make it to any others let us know! I'm sure you would have fun at your reunion, however I'm not sure any reunion is too thrilling! :)

      Delete