Wednesday, October 24, 2012

No, it's not a bar with drinks.

When I told all my friends about Pure Barre opening up they immediately asked "like a juice bar?" No, not like a juice bar - like a ballet barre people!

pure barre technique

A Pure Barre studio opened in Greenville right after I moved and was thrilled when the phenomenon finally made its way to Columbia! For those of you not familiar with it, the technique is to use small isometric movements of the body to create long, lean muscle with a lot of these exercises using a ballet barre. You can read more about their technique here.

I danced ballet my entire life from a little girl, through high school, some college and even a few sporadic classes here and there since college. Since I grew up in a ballet studio, I have always hated working out in a gym. Seriously, it is so foreign and awkward to me I just can't deal. So I was beyond excited to try out this new style of workout classes. I immediately emailed my girlfriends to try and find a brave soul to try this out with me and then scheduled my first class.

Last night was that first class and today I.Can't.Move. Like, can't roll over in the bed, can't brush my teeth my body hurts so bad. Needless to say it was an amazing workout! I kind of had it in my head that since I did ballet for so many years I would breeze through. Oh man was I wrong. I actually thought to myself during the first set if I would even be able to make it through the whole hour. But I prevailed and it felt great! It showed me how incredibly out of shape I was but also reminded me how great it feels to work out and actually be sore for a change.My friend and I are both going to get a package and try one class a week for awhile until we get used to the workouts so hopefully we can keep at it.

They have studios all across the country and quite a few in SC so I definitely encourage you to try it out! I only hope your first class is as rough as mine was (and if it isn't, please don't destroy my ego in telling me).

No comments:

Post a Comment