Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween and the "Sexy _____"

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

Tonight we are going to a neighborhood block party to hang out and have a few adult beverages before all the kiddos go do their trick-or-treat thing. I have the candy all ready and as long as my husband doesn't eat all of it before tonight, we should be all set! We usually don't have very many trick-or-treaters but I'm still holding out for a big crowd! Handing out candy to trick-or-treaters is one of my favorite past-times.

In other news... have you ever asked yourself "Why does every female need to dress as the sexy ____ on Halloween?" When did Rainbow Bright, Carebears, and Nuns become "sexy"?? I have always taken a slightly different approach to Halloween and for the most part have always been as less sexy as possible. While all the other girls are out in 50 degree weather wearing next to nothing with the highest of high heels on, I've always been warm and comfortable. It's really a win-win in my mind.

Let me elaborate...

Clearly this started at a young age. There is really nothing less sexy than a clothes hanger shaped around your head and wearing your best friend's (who happened to be a boy) shoes. I have to give my mom credit for putting this costume together... I'm pretty sure I won the costume contest at church that year. Score one for Pippi!


Moving into college I was a butterfly and ladybug for the first 2 years. Each of those costumes consisted of wearing whatever I wanted to with wings and a headband. Not too bad. But the best costume by far was when my roommates and I dressed up our Junior year as Snood characters. (If you don't know what Snood is, it was a very addictive computer game popular when I was in college). My mom's creativity must have rubbed off on me because I made all these costumes by hand. I wish I had a better picture of all of us but this old scanned Party Pics is all I've got.


Post-College/Pre-Brett my friend and decided to dress up as Wayne and Garth from Wayne's World to go to a party down in Charleston. I have to say these costumes are pretty spot-on. This was also the party where we spotted the "Sexy Carebears". We certainly stuck out like sore thumbs but I think everyone appreciated our creativity.


Since Brett and I have been together we have actually only attended 1 Halloween party together where we decided to dress as characters from our favorite tv show, Survivor. Grubby clothes, signature Survivor "buffs" and a fishing pole. Done.


So in closing, I'm not going to necessarily judge you for dressing sexy for Halloween... if you've got it, flaunt it. However, can we just please keep the integrity and innocence intact of those childhood characters? If you are going to dress as a Carebear, I fully expect a full on bear costume. :) 

Hope everyone has a fun and safe Halloween!

1 comment:

  1. We don't do the extremely sexy thing either. I'm just not comfortable with it and don't go to many parties, so since I'm wearing costumes at work or something, I err cautiously :). But, you're smart for making it bc it's hard to find un-sexy costumes for girls our age. I actually went to the kid's section and bought an extra large witch costume one year because I was helping out at a church carnival (no sexiness there!). We do have Fred and Wilma costumes though, those were pretty awesome last year!

    Love the Pippi costume and hope Brett doesn't eat all the candy!

    ReplyDelete